Materials from our legacy institutions may include records, catalogs, posters, brochures, programs, newsletters, and other items published by our previous colleges and universities. Explore our library holdings below
Official publications from our legacy institutions, including newsletters, student newspapers, fact books, and more...
Electronic holdings are born-digital or digitized materials available online.
Physical holdings represent hard copy/ printed materials and artifacts held at our campus locations in Brownsville and Edinburg.
The legacy and history of the University of Texas at Brownsville cannot be separated from that of Texas Southmost College, especially when their paths formally converged in 1992. And while we honor our shared legacy with TSC and its origins in 1926, UTRGV Special Collections and Archives is not the institution of record (or institutional repository) for Texas Southmost College. Our archival coverage begins in 1973 with the establishment of PAU-Brownsville.
Texas Southmost College partnered with Pan-American University to establish a four-year university in Brownsville in 1973.
When Pan American University joined the University of Texas System in 1989, the campus was renamed University of Texas Pan-American at Brownsville (UTPA-B).
Brownsville sought recognition directly under the UT System becoming the University of Texas at Brownsville (UTB) in 1991.
A partnership was established between UTB and TSC in 1992 to allow students to seamlessly transition to the four year university without reapplying. This partnership was ended by the University of Texas System Board of Regents in 2011. Between 2012 and 2013, the University of Texas Board of Regents approved the merger of UTPA , UTB, and a medical school into one regional institution called the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
Edinburg College was founded as a junior college in 1927 as part of the Edinburg School District.
In 1933, it was formally accredited as state junior college.
Pan American College was established as a four-year university in 1952 and became a state senior college and member of the Texas System of Colleges and Universities in 1965.
In 1971, Pan American College achieved full university status and changed its name to Pan American University when it was approved to offer graduate programs. A second campus at Brownsville was established in 1973 to accommodate growing student enrollment. (The PAU-Brownsville campus evolved into the University of Texas at Brownsville.)
In 1989 the University became a member of the University of Texas System. Between 2012 and 2013, the University of Texas Board of Regents approved the merger of UTPA , UTB, and a medical school into one regional institution called the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
Maximize your time and effort. Let our staff assist you with finding and accessing resources online.