Skip to Main Content

Interlibrary Loan Services: How to Request Items

Interlibrary loan services for UTRGV.

How to Request an Item

Requesting Items

Check our Library Catalog before placing an ILL request to see if an item is available in print or electronic format.  Books that are checked out, on reserve, and in non-circulating collections can be requested as an ILL request.

ILL office can request microfilm, dissertations, A/V materials, etc.  Please note that these type of items are some what difficult to obtain.  If you are a faculty member and plan on using a video for your class, we recommend requesting the item at least two weeks beforehand.  Dissertations may be non-circulating or available electronically or on microfilm/fiche only.

New Request (See tutorial)

  • Log on to ILLiad and choose the "Book" option from the menu on the left.
  • Find the item in WorldCat and copy-paste the OCLC number (accession number) into your request.  It is not required but providing us this number will greatly speed processing and ensure that we obtain exactly what you need.
  • Provide as complete a citation as possible.

 Once Your Item Arrives

You will receive an automated notice once your ILL item arrives and is ready for pickup.  Items are hold at our Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Library.  All ILL items have a sticker plate on them to distinguish them as interlibrary loans.  Please do not remove it.  We require the plate in order to remove the item from your ILLiad account in a timely manner.

Due dates are set by the lending library.  These may be different from your University items.  Unless otherwise noted with "No Renewals" on the strap, most ILL items can be renewed once.

Need Research Assistance?

Research help is available through telephone, e-mail, in-person, and through our chat service.